Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014: The Year in Review

This was a good year for film. It wasn't really spectacular, but it had enough good movies to round off the year as a success for us, the viewers. there were the big blockbusters and comic book movies in the form of X-men: Days of Future Past, and Guardians of the Galaxy, but we also had the lighter fare that was great as well, my favorite of those being Chef. Chef was really pounded by a lot of people and I must confess, I didn't expect much from it, but it delivered, with it's charming, and heartfelt story about the bond between father and son, as well about picking yourself up when you are put down.

It seems to me that as time goes by, we get fewer and fewer original works. Almost all of the major movies this year were either sequels or adaptations of some sort. Don't get me wrong, they were very good, just not as original. As i write, I'm looking at a list of all releases of 2014, We have things like like 22 Jump Street, Godzilla, The Fault in Our Stars, The Purge: Anarchy, Hercules, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Giver, Big Hero 6, Horrible Bosses 2, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies,Exodus: Gods and Kings, Annie, just to name twelve, averaging at least one remake, sequel, or adaptation per month. I don't mean to say that these were bad movies, or even that they approached it in an un-creative manner. I thought Hercules was a very creative way of telling the legend that hadn't been tried before.

I hope Next year we will get more creativity and boldness from movie studios as I, for one, would like to see new material. But let's get serious, that's wishful thinking. If there's one thing that Hollywood has proven, is that they are more than willing to redo something that has already been done, in fact, they prefer it. Let's not expect Hollywood to actually use their brains please. Who knows what monster they will create for us next?

No comments:

Post a Comment